Well I have enjoyed learning bookbinding techniques through the Domestika Online Course. It has taken me a while as I usually only spend a couple of hours a week working on it. Most often on a Wednesday morning when a few of us meet at a friend’s art studio to work on our various art projects.

This is the last project for the course (other books are in previous posts). The criteria was that the pages be different sizes and a variety of media were to be used. I had a few hiccoughs with this one LOL! I did a couple of wrong hinges which meant the various sizes closed as a rectangle book – it looked great, little windows appearing like tiles, but not what I wanted. The Tyvek I purchased for the hinges was not totally friendly for the acrylic paint, even though I added Binder, it easily chipped.My clumsy fingers didn’t cope well with the finer detail of PVA glue, but I got there eventually 🙂

Enjoy this little video of the finished book.

Proteaceae included: grevillea, banksia varieties, waratah, and proteas (my own photos). Grounds used: card and papers, Arches cotton paper, acetate, and photography papers. Media used: photography, cyanotype, lazer printing, ink jet printing, pen & wash, pen & ink, ink jet print of Spent Banksia, a mixed media painting (cover).

I’ve also set myself up a corner of my study – just for book making. My painting area is always a mess 🙂 So lovely to look out into a rain forest.


< Return to Blog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *